Make these irresistible goodies for your Valentine or any time you’re craving a sweet treat.
Peppermint and Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 30
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup all-vegetable shortening
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ (4-ounce) bar semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Peppermint and Chocolate Frostings (recipe follows)
- Garnish: crushed peppermint
- In a large bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugars with a mixer at medium-high speed until creamy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until smooth. Add cream, beating to combine.
- Place half of dough in a large bowl; stir in peppermint extract until well combined. Beat melted chocolate into remaining dough until well combined. Wrap doughs separately in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop dough by 2 tablespoons, and roll into balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans; flatten slightly.
- Bake until edges are lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Peppermint Frosting on chocolate cookies, and spread Chocolate Frosting on peppermint cookies. Garnish with crushed peppermint, if desired. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Kitchen Tip: For a double-chocolate cookie without peppermint flavor, spread or pipe the chocolate frosting onto the chocolate cookie and top with chocolate sprinkles.
One Frosting, Two Ways: Peppermint and Chocolate Frostings
- Makes about 2½ cups
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate morsels, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- In a large bowl, beat butter, confectioners' sugar, and cream with a mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Place half of frosting in a medium bowl; stir in peppermint extract until well combined. Beat melted chocolate and cocoa into remainging frosting. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!