These sweet Pear-Date Oatmeal Bars are convenient for carrying on the go as a quick breakfast or snack.
Pear-Date Oatmeal Bars
Makes about 2 dozen
- 2 large Bosc pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (10-ounce) package chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, letting excess extend over sides of pan; spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- To prepare filling: In a medium saucepan, bring pears and next 3 ingredients to a boil over medium heat; cook for 5 minutes or until pears are slightly tender. Add dates, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat, and let cool for 15 minutes.
- To prepare dough: In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, and baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined.
- Set aside 1½ cups dough; press remaining dough into prepared pan. Spread pear filling over dough in pan, and sprinkle reserved dough over filling.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely. Using excess foil as handles, remove from pan before cutting into bars.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!