These Oven Fried Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Hash Browns are a comforting and delicious duo.
Oven Fried Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Hash Browns
Makes 4 servings
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1¼ cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 (1-inch-thick) boneless pork loin chops
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Hash browns:
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3⁄4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- For pork: In a shallow dish, whisk together eggs, 1 tablespoon water, and cornstarch until smooth. In another shallow dish, stir together bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and salt. Dip pork chops in egg mixture, letting excess drip o . Dredge pork chops in bread crumbs mixture, pressing bread crumbs gently to adhere.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add pork, and cook for 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer skillet to oven, and bake until pork is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, for potatoes: In a shallow microwave-safe dish, combine potatoes and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with plastic wrap, peeling back one corner for steam to escape, and microwave on high until potatoes are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and vegetables are lightly browned and tender, about 9 minutes; stir in paprika, salt, and pepper. Serve immediately with pork.
Kitchen Tip: Be sure your skillet is well heated before you add the pork chops to ensure that the bread crumb coating gets golden brown and crunchy.