Take your fish fry to the next level and leave the oil behind with our crispy Oven-Fried Catfish. This tasty main dish is perfectly balanced with a tangy and refreshing Celery Slaw.
Oven-Fried Catfish and Celery Slaw
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless catfish fillets
- 2 cups finely ground plain yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- Celery Slaw (recipe follows) and lemon wedges, to serve
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine buttermilk, cornstarch, hot sauce, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon paprika, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add catfish; seal and gently turn to combine. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a wire rack on parchment in pan.
- In another resealable plastic bag, shake together cornmeal, bread crumbs, rice flour, Old Bay, remaining 1 tablespoon salt, remaining 2 teaspoons paprika, and remaining 1 teaspoon pepper until well combined.
- Remove catfish, 2 pieces at a time, from buttermilk mixture, letting excess drip off. Place in cornmeal mixture; gently shake bag to coat. Place 1 inch apart on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining catfish. Liberally spray cooking spray onto both sides of catfish.
- Bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately with Celery Slaw and lemon wedges.
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 (10-ounce) package shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, black pepper, paprika, sugar, and celery seed until smooth. Stir in cabbage, celery, green onion, jalapeño, and parsley until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour before serving.