You’re gonna love this fresh spin on classic hoecakes! These yummy Okra Hoecakes are perfect with honey bacon butter.
Makes about 20
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup chopped fresh okra
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bacon Butter (recipe follows)
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder; whisk in buttermilk and 1 tablespoon oil. Gradually whisk in 2 cups boiling water until well combined. Let batter stand for 10 minutes. Stir in okra and cheese.
- Preheat oven to 200°. Place a wire rack on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Drop batter by about 2 tablespoonfuls into skillet, and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared rack, and keep warm in oven. Serve immediately with Bacon Butter and honey.
Honey Bacon Butter
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Kitchen Tip: Let the Bacon Butter stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before you serve it with the hoecakes.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!