Caramelizing height-of-the-season peaches using brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg, gives this ice cream an amazingly sweet and rich flavor.
No-Churn Caramelized Peach Ice Cream
Serves: Makes 1½ quarts
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2½ cups chopped peeled fresh peaches (about 2 peaches)
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- Place a 10×5-inch metal loaf pan in freezer.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, cook butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, until bubbles begin to form around sides of skillet, about 4 minutes. Stir in peaches; cook, stirring frequently, until peaches are just soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
- In a large heatproof bowl, stir together peach mixture and condensed milk. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until mixture is cool to the touch, about 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cold cream with a mixer at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into peach mixture. Spread mixture into cold loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until firm before serving, at least 8 hours or overnight.