Savor the taste of this scrumptious Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup with your favorite crackers or cornbread.
Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
Makes about 4 quarts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 1¾ cups wild rice blend
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2⅓ cups water, divided
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby portobello mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in rice and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Stir in broth, 2 cups water, carrots, thyme,1½ teaspoons salt, rosemary, pepper, and bay leaves, and bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, and cook until rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and remaining ⅓ cup water until smooth. Stir flour mixture, cream, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt into soup. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!