Mocha Chocolate Cake
Serves: Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons espresso powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Garnish: chopped chocolate-covered espresso beans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch enamel-coated cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, 2 tablespoons espresso powder, baking powder, and salt; whisk in buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream, confectioners’ sugar, and remaining 1 tablespoon espresso powder with a mixer at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread onto cooled cake. Garnish with chocolate-covered espresso beans, if desired. Serve immediately.