These Mile-High Nachos are layers of savory ground beef, beans, smoky peppers, cheese, spicy jalapeños, and fresh toppings atop crunch tortilla chips.
Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (13-ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded Colby Jack cheese blend
- Toppings: chopped tomato, sliced green onion, sliced black olives, sliced pickled jalapeños
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is browned and crumbly; drain. Stir in beans, 1 cup water, chipotle peppers, cumin, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until mixture is very thick, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place one-third of chips on prepared pan. Top with one-third of meat mixture and one-third of cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Bake until cheese is melted and chips are lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
Freeze leftover chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in ice cube trays for future use.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!