A mandoline is the best tool to use for slicing the fruit for this Meyer Lemon Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake.
Meyer Lemon Cornmeal Upside-Down Cake
Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
Write a review
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 3 Meyer lemons, very thinly sliced and seeds removed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup semolina flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray with flour; line bottom of pan with parchment paper, and spray paper with baking spray.
- In a small saucepan, bring brown sugar and ¼ cup butter to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and pour into prepared pan.
- In prepared pan, place one lemon slice in center of pan in sugar mixture. Continue arranging lemon slices in overlapping concentric circles to fully cover sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining ½ cup butter, granulated sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, semolina, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Gently spread batter onto lemon slices in pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 2 hours. Run a knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Invert cake onto a serving platter, and serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!