Marinated Vegetable Salad is great for a cookout because it contains no dairy and can sit out for a while without worry of spoiling.
Marinated Vegetable Salad
Makes 2 quarts
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 large cucumbers, scored and sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 1½ large Vidalia or other sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 6 dried red chiles
- 1 pint assorted cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk together all vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, and salt until dissolved. Stir in cucumber, onion, and chiles until well combined. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir all tomatoes and pepper into cucumber mixture just before serving. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Get more great traditional Southern recipes and more by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!