Fall brings the feelings of comfort by the bowlful with this Loaded Squash and Potato Soup recipe. For a pretty presentation, serve this soup in acorn squash. Cut off about 1 inch from the top, and scoop out seeds. Bake at 350˚ for 15 to 20 minutes or until the squash is hot and flesh is beginning to soften. The hot squash will keep the soup warm as it’s being served.
Loaded Squash and Potato Soup
makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 2½ pounds acorn squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 2½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) package extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onion
- In a stockpot or large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot.
- To drippings, add squash, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour onto vegetables, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and next 3 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until squash and potatoes are tender.
- In batches, transfer soup to the container of a blender; secure lid on blender, and remove center piece of lid to let steam escape. Place a clean towel over lid to avoid splatters, and process until smooth.
- Return puréed soup to pot over low heat, and stir in cheese and next 4 ingredients until melted and heated through. Top servings with sour cream, cooked bacon, and green onion.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!