Crispy bacon, Yukon potatoes, white Cheddar cheese, and fresh tarragon make this Loaded Potato Soup an enjoyable dish on a chilly evening.
Loaded Potato Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 10 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp
- white Cheddar cheese
- Toppings: sour cream, shredded white Cheddar cheese, minced fresh chives
- In a large Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from pan, and drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
- Heat drippings over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and half-and-half. Add potatoes, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and mixture has slightly thickened. Add dill and next 4 ingredients, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to low.
- In the container of a blender, pour half of soup, and process until smooth. Return soup to pot, and stir in buttermilk. Add cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, until melted. Serve soup topped with bacon, and desired toppings.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!