The South’s favorite bread is taken up a notch when it’s filled with bacon, veggies, and cheese. This Loaded Cornbread is a perfect for any time of the year.
Makes 1 (10-inch) skillet
- 1 cup seeded sliced mini sweet peppers
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- ½ cup drained thawed frozen corn kernels
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers; cook, turning occasionally, until lightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from skillet. Add green onion and corn to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until lightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- In skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Place skillet in oven to heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in 1 cup cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Stir buttermilk mixture into cornmeal mixture just until combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons each peppers, green onion mixture, and bacon; stir remaining into batter.
- Remove skillet from oven, and carefully swirl to coat bottom and sides with drippings. Spread batter into skillet; sprinkle with remaining vegetables and bacon and remaining 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!