Even though this mac and cheese has four cheeses, we’ve lightened it up a bit.
Lighter Mac and Four Cheeses
Makes about 6 servings
Write a review
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ounces Neufchâtel cheese
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (16-ounce) box whole wheat elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, combine flour and next 5 ingredients. Whisk in milk, stock, and Worcestershire until smooth. Cook, whisking frequently, over medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in Neufchâtel and three-fourths each Cheddar and Manchego until melted and smooth. Stir in pasta until well combined, and pour into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan and remaining Cheddar and Manchego; sprinkle over casserole, and top with bread crumbs and parsley. Lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/