This classic Lemon Shaker Pie is a delightful way to end a delicious meal.
Lemon Shaker Pie
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- 2 large lemons
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 5 large eggs, divided
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, zest lemons. Using a sharp knife, remove as much white pith as possible without removing any of the lemon flesh; discard pith. Wrap lemons in plastic wrap, and freeze for 15 minutes (this makes them easier to slice).
- Thinly slice lemons, using a mandoline if available. In bowl with lemon zest, place lemon slices and 2 cups sugar, tossing to combine; cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 6 hours or for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Unroll 1 piecrust, and fit into a 9-inch cast-iron skillet. In a small bowl, whisk together 4 eggs until frothy; whisk in melted butter. Whisk egg mixture into lemon mixture, and spoon lemon mixture into piecrust.
- Unroll remaining piecrust, and place on top of lemon mixture. Fold together edges of both crusts to seal, and crimp as desired. Cut 4 slits in top crust to let steam escape. Whisk together remaining egg and 1 tablespoon water, and brush egg mixture onto top crust; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and loosely tent with foil. Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!