This scrumptious Lemon Curd Layer Cake is as pretty as it is delicious.
Lemon Curd Layer Cake
Serves: Makes 1 (9-inch) cake
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon zest
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3¾ cups unbleached cake flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups whole buttermilk, room temperature
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- 2 (10-ounce) jars lemon curd
- Garnish: lemon slices
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with baking spray with flour; line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until well combined after each addition. Divide batter between prepared pans, smoothing tops. Tap pans on counter several times to evenly spread batter and release any air bubbles.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 38 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and gently remove parchment from layers. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Level cake layers, if desired. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread lemon curd evenly on cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving or for up to 2 days.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Serves: 3 cups
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Add lemon zest and juice, salt, and vanilla, beating until combined. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating at low speed until combined after each addition. Increase mixer speed to medium, and beat until fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!