These Lemon Bars with Browned Butter Crust are perfect any time of the year!
Lemon Bars with Browned Butter Crust
Makes about 12
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1¼ cups fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar
- For crust: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until butter turns a medium-brown color and has a nutty aroma, 4 to 5 minutes. (Watch carefully as butter starts to brown so it will not burn on the bottom.) Pour butter into a large bowl. Refrigerate until firm enough to beat with a mixer but not cold, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of pan; spray parchment with cooking spray.
- Beat browned butter with a mixer at low speed until smooth. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, confectioners’ sugar, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter, beating until combined. Press dough into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about
- minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.
- For filling: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice, and salt. Whisk in flour until smooth. Pour onto prepared crust.
- Bake until center is set, 45 to
- minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Using excess parchment
- as handles, remove from pan, and cut into bars. Sift with confectioners’ sugar just before serving, if desired.
Baking Tip: You can make the browned butter for the crust 2 to 3 days ahead and refrigerate it. Let it soften for about 45 minutes before continuing with the recipe in step 3.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!