This Layered Ham and Vegetable Salad is a yummy combination of ham, eggs, radishes, and green beans with a tangy buttermilk, Parmesan, and dill dressing.
Layered Ham and Vegetable Salad
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 3 cups (1-inch) sliced fresh green beans
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups lightly packed torn butter lettuce
- 4 cups chopped ham
- 6 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1¼ cups mayonnaise
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: shaved Parmesan cheese, fresh dill
- In a medium saucepan, bring green beans, ½ teaspoon salt, and water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 6 minutes. Drain and transfer to an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
- In a 6-quart bowl, layer lettuce, ham, eggs, radishes, and green beans. In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, grated Parmesan, dill, vinegar, sugar, pepper, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt; pour mixture onto salad. Lightly cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving or for up to 6 hours. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and dill, if desired.
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!