Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 (24-ounce) jar pasta sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 15 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375º. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and next 4 ingredients over medium-high heat until meat is browned and crumbly; drain. Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in wine, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in 2 cups pasta sauce, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until very thick.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes. Whisk in milk, garlic salt, and pepper; cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and stir in mozzarella until melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup cheese sauce into beaten egg; whisk egg mixture into cheese sauce in saucepan.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat mixture in bottom of prepared pan, and top with 3 noodles. Spread 1 cup meat mixture over noodles. Spread 1 cup cheese sauce over meat mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan. Beginning with noodles, repeat layers 3 times.
- Top with remaining noodles, remaining meat mixture, and remaining cheese sauce. Spread remaining pasta sauce over cheese sauce, and sprinkle with remaining shredded Parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!