This traditional Lamb Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious and filling main dish perfect for feeding the whole family on St. Patrick’s Day or any time of the year!
Lamb Shepherd’s Pie
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (8-ounce) packages sliced white button mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup chopped carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 pounds ground lamb
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Garlic Mashed Potato Topping (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms release liquid, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons flour over vegetables; cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Transfer vegetable mixture to a medium bowl.
- In same skillet, cook lamb, Worcestershire, and tomato paste, stirring frequently, until lamb is browned and crumbly. Sprinkle remaining 5 tablespoons flour onto lamb mixture; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Add broth; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in peas and cooked vegetables, and cook until heated through.
- Pour lamb mixture into prepared pan; spread Garlic Mashed Potato Topping onto lamb mixture.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Garlic Mashed Potato Topping
Makes about 6 cups
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, bring potatoes, 3 teaspoons salt, and cold water to cover to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well, and transfer to a large bowl. Add butter and half-and-half; beat with a mixer at medium speed until very smooth. Beat in egg, garlic, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt until combined. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!