This delicious Italian Chicken Casserole has plenty of flavor from fresh mushrooms, onion, garlic, spinach, and fontina cheese. Serve this filling dish with a side salad and garlic bread.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with rosemary and oregano, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package ziti, cooked according to package directions
- ¾ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a very large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add flour, garlic salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and cream; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, tomatoes, and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Stir in cheese. Add pasta, tossing gently to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Click here for 12 more southern casserole recipes from Paula Deen.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!