This delicious Italian Chicken Casserole has plenty of flavor from fresh mushrooms, onion, garlic, spinach, and fontina cheese. Serve this filling dish with a side salad and garlic bread.
Italian Chicken Casserole
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with rosemary and oregano, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 (16-ounce) package ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a shallow 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a very large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add flour, garlic salt, and pepper; cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in broth and cream; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, tomatoes, and spinach. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Stir in cheese. Add pasta, tossing gently to coat. Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and melted butter. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!