These Italian Beef Sandwiches are very similar to hot sandwiches you’ll find all over Chicago.
Italian Beef Sandwiches
Makes 10 servings
Write a review
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can French onion soup
- 2 large green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 2 (16-ounce) loaves French bread, each halved horizontally and cut crosswise into fifths
- 1 (16-ounce) jar giardiniera, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- In a small bowl, stir together garlic salt and next 3 ingredients. Rub mixture onto beef.
- In a large oven-safe Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add beef, and cook for 10 minutes or until browned on all sides. Remove beef from pan. Stir in broth and soup, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and add bell pepper strips to pan; place beef on top of peppers, and cover pot.
- Bake for 2 hours or until beef is cooked through.
- Remove beef and peppers from pan, reserving broth mixture in pan. Place beef and peppers in a resealable plastic bag, and refrigerate for 8 hours or until cold. Refrigerate broth mixture separately in an airtight container.
- Thinly slice cold beef.
- In a saucepan, bring broth mixture to a boil. Using tongs, dip meat and peppers into hot broth for about 1 minute or just until heated through. Place beef and peppers on bottom pieces of bread, and top with giardiniera and bread top. Serve immediately.
- Do not slice the beef until ready to serve; it will become too dry if cut in advance. Also, the cold meat is much easier to slice.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes and more by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!