Enjoy this delicious Fried Green Tomatoes recipe from Irondale Cafe in Irondale, Alabama.
Irondale Cafe Fried Green Tomatoes
Author: Recipe adapted from Irondale Cafe
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- 6 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 to 8 large green tomatoes, sliced ¼ inch thick
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, cornmeal, flours, and salt until smooth. Whisk in water 1 tablespoon at a time until mixture is the consistency of thin pancake batter.
- In a Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 330°.
- Dip tomatoes in batter to coat, letting excess drip off. Fry tomatoes until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes, turning halfway through. Let drain on paper towels; sprinkle with additional salt while still warm. Serve immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription of Cooking with Paula Deen today!