These Hummingbird Sticky Buns are a sweet treat for breakfast or dessert.
Hummingbird Sticky Buns
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages quick-rise instant yeast
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1⁄3 cup pineapple preserves
- 1⁄3 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 small banana)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup diced banana
- For dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whisk together 3 cups flour, granulated sugar, yeast, and salt by hand.
- In a small saucepan, heat 3⁄4 cup water, butter, milk, and vanilla over medium heat until butter is melted and an instant-read thermometer registers 120° to 130°. With mixer on low speed, slowly add warm milk mixture to flour mixture, beating until combined, about 30 seconds. Add eggs, beating until combined. Add remaining 3 cups flour, and beat at low speed until a shaggy dough forms.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment. Beat at low speed until dough is smooth and elastic, 8 to 9 minutes. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a smooth round.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Loosely cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Spray a 13x9-inch baking pan with baking spray with flour.
- For topping: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup, cream, and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat. Pour into prepared pan, and sprinkle pecans and pineapple tidbits on top in a single layer. Let cool completely.
- Lightly punch down dough. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and roll into an 18x14-inch rectangle.
- For filling: In a small bowl, whisk together preserves, mashed banana, and cinnamon. Whisk in flour. Stir in diced banana. Spread onto dough, leaving a 1-inch border on one long side. Starting with long side opposite border, roll up dough into a log, and place seam side down. Trim ends. Using a serrated knife, cut into 12 (1 1⁄2-inch-thick) slices. Place in prepared pan on top of pecans and pineapple. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°) until puffed and slices are touching, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and an instant-read thermometer inserted in center registers 190°, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert buns onto a serving platter. Spoon any pecan caramel left in pan on top of buns. Serve warm.