Two classic Southern desserts combine to make this delicious Hummingbird Bundt Cake.
Hummingbird Bundt Cake
Serves: 1 (15-cup) Bundt cake
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 cups plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 cups sliced banana (about 4 medium bananas)
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
- 1⁄3 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add pineapple and 1 teaspoon sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon butter, banana, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Remove from heat; lightly mash banana. Add to pineapple, and let cool for 20 minutes. Stir in oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and remaining 2 cups sugar. Add banana mixture, stirring until combined.
- Spray a 15-cup Bundt pan with baking spray with flour. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert cake onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Place cooled cake on a cake plate. Spoon Cream Cheese Glaze over cake, and sprinkle with pecans.
Cream Cheese Glaze
Serves: About 3⁄4 cup
- 1⁄4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla, beating until a thick glaze forms.