Makes about 3 dozen
Write a review
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 5 tablespoons all-vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Stir in 1 1/4 cups warm water.
- On a work surface, knead for 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture forms a smooth dough. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness, and cut into 3-inch squares.
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 380°.
- Fry dough squares, in batches, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until puffed and golden brown. Let drain briefly on paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, stir together sugar and remaining 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Dredge hot sopapillas in sugar mixture to coat, and drizzle with honey. Serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/