Banana pudding is the perfect summertime dessert, and this meringue-topped version is no exception.
Homestyle Banana Pudding
- 1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk, divided
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 large ripe bananas, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a 13x9-inch baking dish, arrange an even layer of vanilla wafers in a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, heat 3 cups milk and 1⁄2 cup sugar over medium-high heat just until bubbles form around sides of pan. (Do not boil.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, 1⁄2 cup sugar, flour, and remaining 1⁄2 cup milk until smooth. Gradually add half of hot milk mixture to egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Add egg yolk mixture to remaining milk mixture in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt. Pour half of pudding over vanilla wafers. Place banana slices in an even layer over custard. Pour remaining pudding over banana slices. Place remaining vanilla wafers into pudding along sides of dish.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer at high speed until frothy. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread over warm banana pudding.
- Bake until meringue is lightly golden, 5 to 6 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.