Gather the family around the supper table for a rich and satisfying vegetable beef stew.
Hearty Vegetable-Beef Stew
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 pounds beef stew pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) carton beef broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can lager beer
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsnips
- 1 (8-ounce) bag fresh green beans, trimmed and halved
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over high heat. Add beef and 1 teaspoon salt; cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Remove beef from pot.
- Add onion to pot; cook over medium heat until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in beef, broth, tomatoes, beer, mushrooms, Worcestershire, paprika, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt; crush tomatoes slightly. Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 1½ hours.
- Add carrots and parsnips; cook for 10 minutes. Add green beans; cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!