Serve this delicious Hearty Tomato and Italian Sausage Pasta with garlic bread and a side salad.
Hearty Tomato and Italian Sausage Pasta
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (19-ounce) package sweet Italian sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 (16-ounce) box penne, cooked according to package directions
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in bell pepper, eggplant, zucchini, salt, and pepper; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and sage, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and sausage is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Serve over pasta.
Kitchen Tip: Spicy Italian sausage, smoked sausage, kielbasa, or bratwurst can be used if you already have any of these on hand.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!