This Hearty Beef and Potato Stew is the perfect meal on cool evenings. Serve this yummy stew with a side of old-fashioned cornbread.
Hearty Beef and Potato Stew
Makes 12 servings
- 4 to 4½ pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 (32-ounce) cartons beef broth
- 3 pounds baby yellow potatoes
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Pat beef dry with paper towels, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add one-third of beef, and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove from pot using a slotted spoon. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons oil and beef.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in vinegar, and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in wine, bay leaves, and thyme, and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in broth and beef, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2½ hours.
- Stir in potatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves and thyme. Stir in peas, and cook until heated through. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!