Hash Brown, Sausage, and Caramelized Onion Casserole
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (10¾-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are browned. Remove onions, and set aside.
- To skillet, add sausage and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until sausage is browned and crumbly; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together onions, sausage mixture, hash browns, 1 cup cheese, and remaining 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into prepared pan, and top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Feel free to experiment with the sausage and cheese flavors in this casserole. We like Italian sausage with Italian cheese blend or turkey sausage with Monterey Jack cheese with peppers.
Click here for 12 more southern casserole recipes from Paula Deen.