Let the sizzle of this hearty hamburger steak cooking in the skillet call your family to the dinner table.
Hamburger Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy
Makes 6 servings
Write a review
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (0.87-ounce) package brown gravy mix
- In a large bowl, stir together beef, Worcestershire, horseradish, garlic, salt, and pepper. Divide mixture into 6 portions, and shape each into a patty.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add patties, and cook until browned, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove from skillet, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Add onion, and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together broth and gravy mix until smooth; stir broth mixture into skillet. Add patties, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until gravy is thick and patties are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Be gentle when shaping ground beef into patties. The more tightly packed the patty, the tougher the cooked meat will be.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/