This delicious one-dish meal features a hearty meat and greens filling that’s underneath a cheesy cornbread crust.
Ham, Greens, and Cornbread Pie
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Write a review
- 3/4 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package chopped ham, drained
- 1 3/4 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh collard greens, stemmed and chopped into 2-inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot pepper vinegar
- 2 (8.5-ounce) packages corn muffin mix
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add sausage, ham, bell pepper, onion, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in greens; cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Stir in flour and pepper until well combined. Stir in chicken broth and pepper vinegar; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together muffin mix, eggs, and milk until smooth; stir in cheese. Spread batter onto greens mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°, and bake until topping is golden brown and cooked through, about 25 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For less heat, use a mild smoked sausage and omit the hot pepper vinegar. If you like a lot of spice, swap smoked sausage for andouille.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!