Grits for dessert? You bet! This classic Southern Grits Pie is a delicious treat!
Makes 1 (9-inch) pie
- ¾ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup quick-cooking grits
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (9-inch) frozen pie shell, thawed according to package directions
- Garnish: sweetened whipped cream, fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a small saucepan, bring ¾ cup water and salt to a boil. Whisk in grits; cook, whisking constantly, for 4 minutes. Whisk in butter, and cook for 1 minute. Let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, buttermilk, flour, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Whisk grits into sugar mixture. Pour into prepared crust.
- Bake until set, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and strawberries, if desired.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!