These Grits Muffins are delicious with honey.
Grits Muffins Makes about 10
- ¼ cup quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- ½ cup hot water
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together grits and ½ cup hot water; let stand for
- minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving solids.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; make a well in center of dry ingredients. In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk, 4 tablespoons melted butter, egg, and strained grits. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until moistened (batter will be thick). Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling about three-fourths full.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Brush with remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes; serve warm with honey.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!