The refreshing flavors of citrus make these Gingersnaps Sandwich Cookies with Clementine Buttercream a special treat.
Gingersnaps Sandwich Cookies with Clementine Buttercream
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1¾ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons clementine zest
- 3¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup turbinado sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup all-vegetable shortening
- 7½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons clementine zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh clementine juice
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- For cookies: In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg and zest.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. Shape dough into a ball, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a 1-tablespoon spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop dough into mounds. Roll each mound into a ball. Place on prepared pan, and gently flatten to ¼-inch thickness with the bottom of a glass covered with plastic wrap. Liberally sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling: In a large bowl, beat butter and shortening with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch, beating until fluffy. Beat in clementine zest and juice and vanilla until combined. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons filling onto flat side of half of cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat side down. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!