The sparkling sugar coating dresses up these classic Gingersnaps for the holidays.
- ¾ cup all-vegetable shortening
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 2⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Beat in egg until combined. Beat in molasses until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and cloves. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour mixture to shortening mixture, beating until a stiff dough forms.
- In a small bowl, stir together sparkling sugar and remaining
- teaspoon cinnamon. Using a 1-ounce spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop dough into balls. Roll balls in sugar mixture to coat. Place 2 inches apart on prepared pans.
- Bake until edges look set and dry, about 13 minutes. Let cool on pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Store in airtight containers for up to 1 week.
Kitchen Tip: If you prefer your gingersnaps on the chewy side, bake for 11 minutes. If you like them crunchy, bake for 15 minutes.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!