Enjoy this eye of round roast over buttery mashed potatoes.
Garlicky Eye of Round
makes 4 to 6 servings
Write a review
- 1 (3-pound) eye-of-round roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (10-ounce) can beef consommé
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add roast, and cook for 5 minutes per side or until browned. Place roast in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Arrange carrots, celery, onion, and garlic around roast. Sprinkle with thyme.
- In same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, scraping browned bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Add consommé, and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes or until thickened. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until roast is tender. Serve roast, vegetables, and gravy over mashed potatoes.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!