Garlicky Basil Shrimp Skewers
Makes 10 to 12 servings
Write a review
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 pounds peeled and deveined fresh shrimp
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water to cover for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine oil, orange juice, basil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper. Add shrimp; seal bag, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to high heat (500°). Thread shrimp on skewers, discarding marinade. Brush shrimp with melted butter.
- Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until shrimp are pink and firm. Serve hot or room temperature.
- The acid from the orange and lime juices starts to “cook” the shrimp after a while, so don’t marinate this dish longer than suggested or the texture will be rubbery.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/