These Frosted Cake Brownies are topped with a decadent Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting.
Frosted Cake Brownies
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 18 muffin cups with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate and butter on high in 30-second intervals, stirring between each, until mixture is melted and smooth (about 2 minutes total). Whisk in sugars until well combined. Let cool for 5 minutes. Whisk in eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gently fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture just until combined. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling three-fourths full.
- Bake until edges are set and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely in pans.
- Spread Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting onto brownies. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Buttermilk Chocolate Frosting
Makes about 3 cups
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 to 6 tablespoons whole buttermilk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter at medium speed until creamy. In a small bowl, sift together confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and salt. Gradually add sugar mixture to butter, beating until combined. Gradually beat in buttermilk until mixture reaches a spreadable consistency. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!