This fried okra is simply delicious and a classic Southern recipe.
Makes 8 servings
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 pounds fresh okra, stem ends removed and sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 2½ inches. Heat oil until a candy or frying thermometer registers 350°. In a large bowl, combine okra and buttermilk; let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, seasoned salt, and cornstarch.
- Working in batches, drain okra, and dredge in flour mixture. Using a spider skimmer (see tip below) or long-handled slotted spoon, lower okra into hot oil; fry for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.