“When you make Fried Green Tomatoes, the salt pulls water out of the tomatoes so that you don’t end up with soggy breading. Let the salted tomatoes stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. The longer they stand, the drier they’ll get.” — Paula
Fried Green Tomatoes
Write a review
- 5 green tomatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place tomato slices on paper towels. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Turn tomatoes, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Pat dry with paper towels.
- In a shallow dish, place 1/2 cup flour. In a separate shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk and egg. In a third shallow dish, combine cornmeal, seasoned salt, and remaining 1 cup flour.
- Dredge tomatoes in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk mixture to coat. Dredge tomatoes in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil to a depth of 1/8 inch; heat oil over medium heat. Add tomatoes, in batches, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve immediately.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/
Get more great traditional Southern recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!