This Fried Coconut-Orange Shrimp pairs perfectly with Orange Pepper Jelly Sauce.
Fried Coconut-Orange Shrimp
Serves: 6 to 8
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups sweetened flaked coconut, lightly chopped
- 1½ tablespoons orange zest
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- Orange-Pepper Jelly Sauce (recipe follows)
- In a large Dutch oven, pour oil to a depth of 4 inches; heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°.
- In a shallow dish, place flour. In another shallow dish, whisk together eggs. In a third shallow dish, whisk together coconut, orange zest, salt, and pepper. Dredge shrimp in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggs, letting excess drip off; coat in coconut mixture, pressing gently to adhere.
- Fry shrimp in batches until fully cooked and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Serve with Orange-Pepper Jelly Sauce.
Orange Pepper Jelly Sauce
- 1 (10.5-ounce) jar red pepper jelly
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- In a small saucepan, cook all ingredients over medium-high heat just until bubbles form around sides of pan. (Do not boil.) Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!