Serve this filling Fresh Tomato and Chicken Pasta Bake with a side salad and garlic bread!
Fresh Tomato and Chicken Pasta Bake
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 5 cups chopped seeded fresh tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 2½ teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ (16-ounce) box penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh basil, chopped fresh oregano
- In a colander, toss together tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt. Place in sink, and let stand for 30 minutes. Gently shake colander to remove excess moisture from tomatoes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 4 minutes or until softened. Add chicken, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, pepper, and remaining 1½ teaspoons salt, and cook until tomatoes are heated through. Remove from heat, and stir in pasta and cream. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle with cheese, and loosely cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil and oregano, if desired.
Kitchen Tip: Salting the tomatoes and letting them drain draws out excess moisture, ensuring your casserole is rich and creamy.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!