Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes
- ¾ cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup finely diced fresh strawberries
- Fresh Strawberry Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh strawberry halves
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- In the container of a blender, process chopped strawberries until smooth. Reserve ⅓ cup purée in a small bowl for Strawberry Frosting; reserve ¼ cup purée for cake batter.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and vanilla with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add egg and egg yolk, beating well.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk and reserved ¼ cup strawberry purée. With mixer on low speed, gradually add flour to butter mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in diced strawberries. Divide batter among prepared cups.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 22 to 24 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread or pipe Fresh Strawberry Frosting onto cupcakes; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
Fresh Strawberry Frosting
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ⅓ cup strawberry purée, reserved from Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes (recipe precedes)
- In a large bowl, beat butter and salt with a mixer at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar alternately with strawberry purée, beating until smooth after each addition. Use immediately.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!