Enjoy the summer bounty buy making a pot of yummy Fresh Peas with Smoked Turkey Wing.
Fresh Peas with Smoked Turkey Wing
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 quart water
- 2 smoked turkey wing pieces
- ¾ pound fresh pink-eyed peas
- ¾ pound fresh lady peas
- ¼ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- Pickled Red Onions (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh oregano
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 quart water to a boil over high heat. Add turkey, and return to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove turkey; shred meat, discarding fat and bones. Return meat to saucepan; add peas, onion, and garlic. Tie thyme and parsley together with kitchen string; add to saucepan. Return mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas are just tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Remove herb bundle, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Pickled Red Onions. Garnish with oregano, if desired.
Pickled Red Onions
Makes about 1 cup
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1½ cups sliced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, bring vinegar, sugar, salt, and peppercorns to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium nonreactive bowl, combine vinegar mixture, onion, and garlic, pressing onion down to fully submerge. Let cool to room temperature. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!