French Toast Bites
Makes 10 servings
Write a review
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (16-ounce) package bacon
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 (14.1-ounce) loaf brioche, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Fresh mint leaves
- Wooden picks
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil, and place wire racks on top. Spray racks with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, cook syrup and next 3 ingredients over medium heat, stirring often, for 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Reserve 1⁄3 cup syrup in a small bowl.
- Place bacon slices on prepared racks, and brush both sides of bacon with remaining syrup.
- Bake, brushing both sides of bacon with syrup every 10 minutes, for 20 to 25 minutes or until bacon is golden brown. Remove from oven, and brush with reserved 1⁄3 cup syrup. Transfer bacon to parchment paper, and let cool completely. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1/4 inch, and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and next 4 ingredients. Dip bread pieces into milk mixture, letting excess drip off, and fry until golden brown on all sides; drain on paper towels.
- Thread 1 piece French toast, 1 piece bacon, 1 blueberry, and 1 mint leaf onto wooden picks. Serve immediately.
- Brioche can be substituted with challah, Hawaiian bread, or any other egg bread.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/