These scrumptious French Onion Burgers can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
French Onion Burgers
Makes 6 servings
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 tablespoons granulated beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- 6 hamburger buns, halved and toasted
- Thyme Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until very tender. Increase heat to medium-high, uncover, and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick nonflammable cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium-high heat (350° to 400°).
- In a large bowl, stir together ground chuck and next 3 ingredients. Divide mixture into 6 portions, and shape each portion into a 5-inch patty.
- Grill patties, covered with grill lid, for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with ¼ cup cheese, and cover with grill lid for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
- Spread cut sides of buns with Thyme Mayonnaise. Place patties on bottom half of buns. Top with caramelized onions and bun tops. Serve immediately.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, minced fresh thyme, horseradish, and ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Get more great recipes by ordering your subscription to Cooking with Paula Deen today!