Make focaccia to accompany your suppertime favorites. Enjoy them all year with these recipe variations.
Makes 2 (10-inch) loaves
Write a review
- 1 1/3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle warm IPA beer (105° to 110°)
- 2 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons coarse cornmeal
- In a small saucepan, cook olive oil and garlic over medium heat for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and remove garlic cloves from pan, reserveing olive oil. Mash garlic into a paste.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1/4 cup flour, beer, yeast, and sugar. Let stand for 20 minutes or until foamy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine beer mixture, mashed garlic, 1/2 cup reserved olive oil, 1/4 cup water, and remaining 5 3/4 cups flour. Beat on medium speed until a smooth, elastic dough forms. Shape dough into a ball.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place in dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let stand in a warm draft-free place (85°) for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Pour 3 tablespoons reserved oil into each of 2 (10-inch) cake pans. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon cornmeal.
- Punch down dough, and divide in half. Loosely shape each dough portion into a disk, and let stand for 15 minutes. Roll each portion to a 10-inch circle, and place in prepared pans. Pour remaining oil over dough. Using your fingertips, make indentations at 1-inch-intervals in dough. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Add desired toppings to dough (see Notes below), and make indentations again.
- Bake for 20 to 27 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil: Top 1 portion of dough with 1⁄3 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, and bake as directed.
- Cheddar and Green Olive: Top 1 portion of dough with 1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives, 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt, and 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, and bake as directed.
- Rosemary and Onion: Top 1 portion of dough with 1/4 cup thinly sliced yellow onion or shallot, 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese, and bake as directed.
- Seeded: Top 1 portion of dough with 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt and 1/2 teaspoon each caraway, fennel, poppy, celery, and sesame seeds. Bake as directed.
Paula Deen Magazine https://www.pauladeenmagazine.com/